Italian Stuffed Peppers
2 cups (500 mL) cooked quinoa, cooked in vegetable broth1 lb (450 g) Ontario lean ground pork1 Tbsp (15 mL) EACH oregano, parsley and basil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
K cup (125 mL) leeks, sliced thin
1 zucchini, cubed
K cup (125 mL) mushrooms, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, cubed
2 Tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 red or yellow peppers
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).2. Cook quinoa in vegetable broth if you have not done so already.
3. Cook the ground pork fully in a frying pan over medium-high heat with oregano, parsley and basil. Place pork to the side on a plate.
4. Add oil to the frying pan and sauté leeks for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Then add the tomato, quinoa, pork and balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Cut off the top of your peppers and a little off the bottom so that they sit flat in the baking pan. Clean out the centre of the peppers. Divide the pork mixture into 4 and stuff the peppers. If making half peppers, divide mixture into 8.
6. Set the stuffed peppers on a baking pan and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.